Potential Vendor Guidelines
Welcome to Only In Rhode Island!
43 Long Wharf Mall
Newport, RI 02840
GUIDELINES FOR PROSPECTIVE VENDORS
We appreciate your interest in Only In Rhode Island and would like to get as much relevant information about you and your product(s) as possible. Please understand that, due to the time constraints of operating a busy retail and Internet store, we can only meet with potential vendors by appointment. Also, because our business is seasonal there will be times of the year when it will not be possible to schedule appointments. Should you arrive unannounced, we will not carry your work. Generally speaking, the first four months of the year are probably the best time for us to consider new product lines.
If you would like us to consider your product(s) for sale in the stores there are a few things we will need to know. These include:
1. A Complete description of the product itself. If it is something quite unique, you may wish to describe potential uses or the intended purpose of the product;
2. Photographs or samples of the product are also important, as it can be difficult to judge the quality sight-unseen;
*All samples, even those from past years are taken into consideration when entering a new season. For this reason, we ask that all samples provided be left to the store or sent in photograph format.*
3. Wholesale price list. This is critical. Without an idea of the pricing it is impossible for us to determine whether we can sell it. If pricing is not included, we cannot consider your work.
4. If the product is being sold elsewhere, or has been sold in the past, please tell us the names of the stores and a brief description of the type of shop, if it’s not obvious. This information will give us a better idea of the clientele your product attracts and whether your product is already well represented in the local market. We don’t require exclusivity, however, if a product is available in numerous other local stores, it ceases to be unique and would not be as appealing for our store.
5.Determine whether you will consider selling your products on consignment. In many instances, we are able to add new products to the store by utilizing a consignment agreement, rather than our standard payment terms because the cost of adding a new product line can sometimes be prohibitive. Unlike many retailers we have a consignment contract , which states that we take complete responsibility for items in out store on consignment. In the event something is damaged or stolen we will pay for it. Also the agreement can be terminated by either party at any time, meaning you are not locked-in to a lengthy commitment.
6. Finally, let us know how flexible you are regarding the products you offer. For example, if we chose 6 different styles of your product and only 4 sell, would you be willing to exchange the others for something different? This won’t be possible in every instance, but can help us decide whether to take a chance on a new product.
Once you have compiled all this infomation, you can either mail it or drop it off in our store. During especially busy times, we may not be able to get back to you right away, so we appriciate your patience and thank you for allowing us to consider your products for our store.